An Oxygen scavenger is a chemical compound that is used to reduce or eliminate oxygen in fluids and enclosed spaces to stop oxygen-induced corrosion. Additionally, it is called an oxygen absorber. It is used as a corrosion inhibitor in gas and oil production installations, packaging, manufacturing separation and seawater injection systems. Oxygen scavengers increase the shelf life or service life of these elements under protection. Oxygen scavengers are categorized as organic or inorganic. They are implemented in various ways, depending on:
- The amount of oxygen to be eliminated
- The cost commitment
- Attributes and field conditions
- Ability to passivate metallic surface
- Corrosionpedia clarifies Oxygen Scavenger
An oxygen scavenger is a corrosion-inhibiting material that is inserted in Small amounts into an environment that is prone to oxygen-based corrosion. Its cathodic nature enables it to combine with oxygen and form benign compounds-salts. This procedure eventually reduces the corrosion rate in the systems under protection. The oxygen absorber are formed from, Metal iron sulfites and bisulfite ions, Homogenous blends of reactive materials and polymers, Ascorbic acid, Ascorbate salts or catechol, Photosensitive dye, Antioxidants, UV light activation, Aerobic microorganisms and enzymes. The oxygen scavenger has had numerous accounts of patents, particularly in the packaging and food industries. They are designed on the basis of the character of the material to be protected against rust, the desired shelf life, and the corrosion activity. These rust inhibitors are designed to satisfy the following prerequisites.
- They Ought to be harmless to humans
- They Ought to consume a large amount of oxygen at an appropriate speed
- They shouldn’t produce toxic substances that might increase the rate of corrosion
- They Need to be efficient and compact in size or level
- It should be able to with stand extreme pressures and temperatures
With our area guide, you will have access to over 40 common coating Failures with high resolution pictures, straightforward descriptions, probable cause and prevention method for everyone. Enter your email below to get it immediately delivered to your inbox to take with you from the field or save for later analysis.